AFS KL-YES INTERVIEW TIPS 2015

02:13

Assalammualaikum and Hye,

I've promised you guys that I will share the tips for AFS INTERVIEW,so I'm here! ;D
Before that, I want to clarify  that I am not selected to the second interview in KL.Hence,I know that you shouldn't do the same mistakes as I've done.

The interview that I attended was for KL-YES interview which is an exchange student program to USA with scholarship.Sounds good right?Participate in it if you are interested!

There are other interview such as AFS short-term program to Italy,Germany,Turkey and Japan too.
Do visit the afsmas.org for further information.

1.Know the culture of all races in Malaysia

This is compulsory!You must know the culture of Malay,Indian,Chinese,Iban,Kadazan,Orang Asli,Baba Nyonya and other indigenous tribes in Sabah and Sarawak.They will not ask you about all of it but apparently you need to know the festival that is celebrated by the races.Then,the foooood!Know it and eat it!Okay,jokes aside.You have to know the main dishes.Next,clothes-- the traditional attire that we usually wear during certain festival like cheongsam,baju kebaya,sam foo and a lot more stunning traditional clothes that you've never think of.

Cantik kan!We must treasure our culture.
             When you are doing research about your own country's culture,keep it in your mind as a general knowledge too.Not just for the sake of attending the interview.After all,we must be proud of our lovely Malaysia.I love my tanah tumpah darahku!


2.Practice traditional dances






You don't need to be a professional dancer in this case,but you HAVE to know at least three dances because if the interviewer ask you to perform zapin and you don't have any idea about it,at least you can show them that you can JOGET.Now they know,you are capable of something and you do know how to promote Malaysian traditional dancing to the world.We're a blend of various cultures and that's what makes Malaysia,Malaysia.Okay,so I want to make your work a little bit easier --Traditional dances that you should have a try (click it!)

3.Voice out your opinion

During the interview,there was a game and an 'ask-what-you-want' sessions and lastly a debate.Okay,you don't have to worry about this and find points to defeat the opposition as the debate is conducted in a relaxed and chill environment.But,I am not declaring that this is how the interview is going to be because there will be volunteers that will supervise and take charge of the interview so it is up to them what type of activities they will organise.Anyway,enjoy the activities as it will be super fun and make new friends.Whatever it is,try to express your opinion out loud and it is a +1 if you are the first person to answer or share your thoughts when any questions arise.The originality and your bravery is counted as bonus.
                                       
   

         What I am trying to deliver is,be brave and voice out!Be different.If you're thinking that the other person may have the same thoughts in his/her head then be the first to say it.You may have doubt that your idea is ridiculous but you also are portraying to others how to look at something from a different perspective.And tell you what,weird is the new smart.Hahaha

Okay, I want to share one of the mind boggling questions they asked during the group interview.I found this question as quite interesting and we really can know how the girls' reactions if they meet their significant one during the exchange program.

Q: What if you fall in love with someone during the exchange student program?
      Say that the person is your host brother or someone that live in your host country.

A(girl 1) : I need to tell my family first about this and if my father give the permission then it is okay.

Q            : Then if you ended the programme will you continue the relationship like a LDR?

A(girl 1 ): Yes,maybe.

Q: So,what about you?

A(me) :As for me I think I need to determine whether is that a true love or just a crush because we might just like someone and it's not love.I don't think it is wrong to fall in love but how you express your love will actually be the main subject.If you don't do anything that may give bad assumptions to people then it's okay.

There were five girls in my group but I don't remember all of their answers so I only can recall two of that.One from another girl and from me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the interviewers started telling us that there was an exchange student that fell in love,a real love not an infatuation towards someone that you just met,and they keep in touch with each other even after the program had ended.Considering that this love is a long distance relationship where the student must go back to his/her country once the exchange ended,then I think it really require a big commitment,right?Anyway,I've read about a story similar to this,and guess what they still contact each other and that someone special is the host brother.

You need to know your intention of going there in the first place which is to gain knowledge,learn new cultures and promote the culture of your beloved country and also extend your circle of friends.

You need to know that by joining this program you not only have to live in a new place,adapt to the environment and meet new people but most importantly you are the young ambassador of Malaysia.You are responsible to promote our culture there and portray good image of our country and our people.

And if you really want the KL-YES scholarship,then work for it!I knew that I need to practice the dance but I didn't and that's it.When the interviewer asked me to perform zapin ,I awkwardly moved my hands in circling motion.I have no idea how to do it,apart of joining dancing class in year 3 and was expelled (HAHAHA) because I cannot do some of the moves, I tried to do some movements that I barely remember.Then,when I search for the 'zapin dance' on youtube,the dance is nothing same to the ridiculous movements that I performed during the interview. T_T

4.Issues happening around the globe

This is to test your general knowledge and to see whether you care about the world or not.You need to read the newspapers and know the solutions to the problem.When we read,we don't just read,flip the pages and that's it.We need to think how to find the solutions, to make peace and nurture humanity in ourselves and in the world.Be someone that make changes!They did asked my friend about the ISIS,how are we going to explain the host family that Islam is not related to ISIS?Think about that.

5.How about halal food?

If someone offered you to drink wine or eat pork that is against your beliefs,how would you tell them politely that you cannot consume those thing? :) Based on my readings, some people said they would prefer to eat bread and fish or be a vegetarian there.But,I will try asking the alumni and maybe they could shed some light on this matter.

I hope that this entry could help you guys who are planning to apply for the AFS exchange student program.Whether you are accepted to the next interview is another thing,so enjoy the interview.I have gained amazing experience from the interview and it does open my eyes about the world I am going to explore in my journey as a young adult.Pray for me and wish me well!

Terima kasih. :D

I am sharing my experience for the benefit of others :)



You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. thanks for sharing your experience! i really really wanted to go for an exchange student or something like that but I'm 17 turning 18 this year so i guess it's not possible now? :( i wish I've known about this program last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hye, Rinie!You're welcome. There are plenty of exchange programmes ,divided into two categories, some are sponsored and the others you need to be financially prepared. As you have exceed the age limit, I suggest that u try out the YSEALI or MyCorps. Hope it helps.

      Delete
  2. Hi farrah, thanks for the interview tips! I have another question, what else do they ask instead of these? Btw im having my interview next week, pray for me!!! Thanks again dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I am happy that this post helps you in preparing for the interview.These are the main questions, and the branches of questions usually rooted from the culture in Malaysia and how you are going to promote our country in the host country. Bear in mind that they want to see how you can engage creatively in explaining the enquiries regarding the religions, races and culture in our beautiful Malaysia.All the best to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Hai Farrah ... Thanks for the tips for AFS interview... I want to ask... Did I must know about the traditional dances and clothes about Malaysian ... I'm quite scared when I have read your tips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai,Aiman.You are welcome.I recommend you to do some reading about traditional dances and clothes as after all you will be a young representative of Malaysia.This is a great opportunity for you to share our culture and the beauty of Malaysia across the world,if you are selected as YES exchange student,insyaAllah.I wish you all the best,Aiman!

      Delete
  4. Hye, actually i don't fluence in english. So how?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,there :) I had the same fear too in high school.Keep practicing speaking in English and listen on English materials to improve your fluency when conversing in English.If you do not understand what is being spoken about it will be hard to engage in the conversation.Keep doing your best, my support is with you!

      Delete
  5. Thanks 4 share it, suddenly I join the japan programme n tomorrow I will go the interview I hope it will be same test...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome,all the best to you :)

      Delete
    2. Hello izzu fighter, I'm applying for a japan programme too. Can you please tell me in which language was your interview conducted? And if possible some other details about it too... It would be great help. And thank you so much Farrah your post is really informative and helpful

      Delete
    3. hey hi....my AFS japan interview is like going to happen next week....can u share ur experience and what should I prepare for it???Can u tell what did they asked u and etc.thx

      Delete
  6. Hi farrah! Really big thanks to your entry it really helped me to face the interview...guess what? Its this Friday! I'm really glad I read your entry earlier before the interview... Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I am quite nervous and excited for you too!I know how it feels.Welcome and I hope that you will nail it.Do your best,and keep me updated if you pass the interviews :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your experience. My daughter applied for this program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome.I really appreciate it.All the best to your daughter,Puan Azzah.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your experience. I have applied for this program! I wish you can pray for me. Right now, I just worried about my writing in English. I hope I can improve well. Thanks again Kak!

    ReplyDelete